the soapstress

Welcome to The Soap Chronicles. :)

My name is Bev (a.k.a. "bookyeti"). Besides my ardor for all things literary, I'm also a newbie soapstress, enjoying a newfound love of making handmade cold-process soap. I make all my soaps using oils such as olive, coconut, and palm, which saponify when combined with a solution of water and lye (sodium hydroxide).

Even as a little girl, I have always been fascinated by soap, and the endless different varieties that can be created. Up until recently, I was ignorant to the fact that soap is really not all that difficult to make, as long as you have the right ingredients and equipment (which is easy to find). I've always loved homemade soap the best, and so that is why I've decided to start making my own.

This blog will be a place for me to brainstorm new techniques, recipes, oil and scent combinations, as well as chronicling my successes and, inevitable, failures along the way. (Hopefully more of the former than the latter!)

If you are a veteran soaper or a newbie like myself - or if you're interested in giving it a try someday - feel free to join in on the discussions. Hints and recommendations are always welcome!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Bev, it will be so fun to follow you in your soapmaking adventure! I really want to join you someday...right now I've just been reading and researching and browsing supplies (like stick blenders, wooden molds, etc.) on Ebay. I'd love to someday grow my own flowers and herbs to use, too. Dreaming, dreaming - but you have to start somewhere, I guess! I wanted my little faux candy craft to work out, but it involves the use of lots spray paint and sealers and chemical laden supplies- not to mention, many hours in a cold garage... and my body doesn't seem to like that much! Would so love to be able to work with natural products!

    It looks like you are having lots of fun! Keep up the good work!

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Kim. ;)
    It's so nice to have you join me on my journey. I really haven't had a chance to do much more lately, but I'm hoping to make another batch soon.

    ReplyDelete