Picking myself up after a somewhat botched first batch, I made a second batch of soap Sunday morning. This time, I left out the beeswax and castor completely, opting for a different recipe - olive oil, soybean, coconut, palm. Wow, it turned out great!
I just turned it out of the mould yesterday, so it'll have to cure for a few weeks, but I think this will be great. I sampled a little sliver of it and it already suds up great and is nice and hard!
This time I used the stick-blender. Handstirring the first batch was a real pain and it took FOREVER to trace. But this time? Wow, what a difference!! I'm so glad I tried it, and will never go back to the old spoon! Using the handblender worked so much better, and the soap came out smoother, and it traced perfectly! Also, it gelled (I don't think my first batch gelled which was another problem with it).
For a mould, I went to the grocery store and bought a small plastic cat litter tray. It worked perfectly and was just the right size for my 4 lb. batch.
I colored it a bit with some paprika for a coral/peachy color, and scented it with the grapefruit essential oil -- smells sooooo good...like a freshly halved ruby red! I texturized the top with a butterknife. I'm really pleased, and can't wait to use it!
Okay...NOW I'm hooked! :)